Hydrotherapy Classes and Individual Sessions
Water based therapy is a fantastic means of rehabilitation, using the warmth, buoyancy and gentle resistance of the water to improve mobility, strength and assist with pain relief.
It is suitable for people of all ages and is particularly beneficial to those who have challenges with exercising on land.
Benefit of Hydrotherapy:
- Buoyancy – your body is supported, so the compression force through your joints is less. People with painful joints can often move more freely in water, making it a fantastic starting point in a rehabilitation programme
- Decreased pain – the warm water, the support it provides, the improved circulation it facilitates can all assist in reducing pain experienced with movement
- Better Range of Motion – some patients have difficulty getting full range of movement of particular joints when working against gravity. Water can provide support, allowing exercise through the joint’s complete range
- Strength training – While water can facilitate slow movements, it resists faster movement, creating a lot of resistance to strengthen weak muscles
- Stimulates balance – you have to work, however subtly, to stay upright in water. For those with balance challenges (e.g. stroke, Parkinsons, etc), large, expansive movements are more possible in water as it is a safe environment (when working with a therapist) to risk falling
- Improved mood –Warm water can promote relaxation and, overall, water is fun. Most clients report a positive impact on their mood following a pool session.
Hydrotherapy can be useful for:
- Conditions impacting balance (e.g. Parkinsons)
- Post-operative orthopaedic conditions (e.g. hip and knee replacements, back surgery)
- Acute and chronic back pain
- Ante and post natal exercise
- Gait re-education following a lower limb injury
- Return to sport after soft tissue injury
- And much much more!
Our Hydrotherapy Services:
All hydrotherapy appointments take place in the warm water pool at the Harold Holt Swim Centre.
We have three group classes:
- Wed afternoon: two general classes promoting strength, balance, mobility and some general fitness. Exercises are adapted for individual requirements but we are predominantly working in a group.
- Wed evening: smaller group class for those with more specific requirements. Individuals work through their programme designed and supervised by one of our physiotherapists. Programmes are progressed as required.
All clients require an individual appointment before joining a class to ensure suitability and familiarity with the pool environment.
A course of hydrotherapy can be recommended for recovery after various conditions, injuries or post-operatively. Some clients are seen for a few weeks to a few months before progressing back to the land environment or moving to a group class or independent programme.
Some clients require ongoing one on one rehabilitation due to complex needs. We are happy to accommodate this where possible.
For those requiring an independent pool programme, we suggest booking in for an initial assessment as well as one or two follow up appointments to ensure competency with the programme before continuing on an independent basis.
Hydrotherapy appointments can be booked by calling Spring Physio Gym. (03) 9822 4002